Marsha's Reviews > Providence

1991207
Jun 06, 12

Recommended for: Young Adults and Adults
Read from June 05 to 06, 2012, read count: Once

After reading "Beautiful Disaster" I became a fan of Jamie McGuire. She has an incredible ability to describe her world and characters in such a way that immediately invests the reader into the story within the first few pages. "Providence" is another w2onderful book that truly showcases McGuire's wonderful talent.

College Student Nina Grey is struggling to find solace after the very recent loss of her father. While waiting for a bus to take her back to the dorms she meets and shares a cab with a kind stranger, Jared Ryel. Little does she know but Jared has aloways been in her life watching over her and protecting her. He is in the security business; but, he is also part human and part angel.

From time to time, ared begins popping up around campus. They have lunch and eventually begin to date. Jared reveals his job to her and she is amazed. She begins to fall in love. However, Jared is not the only person interested in Nina. One of her best friends at school has a crush on her and a mysterious man insists that she locate and turn over a file that her father had. When Nina finally locates the file, she learns the truth about her father's dealings and she is heartbroken. This knowledge also puts her in jeopardy.

Although Jared keeps tight tabs on Nina, she encounters one criminal or demonic entity after another. They want what she alone has and they will stop at nothing to get it. When demons attempt to attack Nina at a family gathering at Jared's mother's home, Nina does the unthinkable and refuses to continue to see him. This leaves them both miserable and vulnerable. However, Jared's cranky sister, Claire decides to take matters into her own hands and gets Nina to see what a devastating effect her actions are having.

I truly enjoyed this story especially the beginning and the end. However, I must admit that at times the middle of the story got bogged down in mundane events that had not true added value to the storyline or plot. I found myself bore and wanting to skip forward. Yet, I presevered and made it through the end. Additionally, there was one other problem I had. I purchased the package with all three books in it and there was no table of content whereby you could go to the section of the book that you wanted. That is a publishing issue and nothing to do with the writing. Overall, Providence is a great read that will make you want to know more. With that being said, I am off to read the next book in the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Providence.