Katy Upperman's Reviews > Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone

Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, favorites
Read from June 03 to 04, 2012

Amelia Anne had me at hello. The beautiful cover, mesmerizing synopsis, and steady stream of rave reviews were initially intriguing. But then there was the first line:

The night before Amelia Anne Richardson bled her life away on a parched dirt road outside of town, I bled out my dignity in the back of a pickup truck under a star-pricked sky.

Amazing, right? I’m happy to report that each line that follows the first is equally stunning. So are the characters, the setting, and the desperate, raw tone of this novel.

Kat Rosenfield holds nothing back in the weaving of Rebecca and Amelia’s parallel stories. Her prose is enchantingly gritty, and the relationships she fosters between her characters feel real and flawed and dangerously precarious. Amelia Anne is a fast read, one part literary fiction, one part murder mystery, with a twist that packs one heck of a punch. It’s also one of those books that is simultaneously inspiring (I want to write a book like this!) and discouraging (I’ll never be able to write a book like this…). Writers: Read it, perhaps, when you’re not drafting or in the middle of heavy revisions. But DEFINITELY read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone.