Anita's Reviews > Imagine: How Creativity Works

Imagine by Jonah Lehrer

Jun 05, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction-read
Read from June 03 to 04, 2012

From Bob Dylan's brain to YoYo Ma's practice habits to unsticky tape to the business model of Pixar to the synergy of New York City to the best sort of preschools, this book has it all. We can promote creativity in ourselves, our workplace, and our children. I loved Lehrer's examples--he explains how my crossword puzzle technique works--when you're stuck quit working on it, come back to it later and voila (a 5 letter word for aha) your right hemisphere has just written the classic "Like a Rolling Stone." Or something like that.
Bringing together various researchers in a readable fashion to describe both the internal brain activity and the external stimuli forces for creative thought is helpful for CEOs and mothers. Just a few of the things I learned: 1. constructive criticism is much more productive than brainstorming. 2. Having one set of bathrooms in a company stimulates more productive ideas. 3. "The imagination is unleashed by constraints. You break out of the box by stepping into shackles." 4. Shakespeare benefitted by living at a time of many great playwrights. 5.Daydreaming and unstructured play does more for kids than phonics worksheets.
I can't wait to put this knowledge to use. I think I will take a warm shower and a nap.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imagine.