Colin Jackson's Reviews > My Brother Sam Is Dead

My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier

Jun 03, 2012

Read in May, 2012

I just have to say, “Wow.” This book was an extraordinary find. I don’t really like history books, but this one had me by the collar saying, don’t stop reading it! I didn’t either. This book had a special feel, unlike other books that just say what the do and then get over with it. Not this one! It goes through a whole period of events in which dozens of people die.

This book is about a young boy named Sam Meeker who has to make a horrible decision: To fight WITH his people, or to fight AGAINST them. Now if I was him, I would have fought with them. But no, he has to take the hard way out, fighting against them and also killing dozens upon dozens of his people. His friends. People he knew, had to die. But for what? To die? Actually, yes. He had to die in the end because he got caught and got shot in the head. He was still alive and then they shot him again because he was still alive.

That would be horrible for me to make a decision like that. Even if I did have to make one, I would have fought for my town. If they were nice, I would be nice. Even if they were jerks to me, I would have stood up and fought for them. I would have fought until the day I got shot in the head, twice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Brother Sam Is Dead.

message 1: by Mr. Pirkl (new)

Mr. Pirkl Good review glad you enjoyed the book.
No quotes