Jenn's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Mira Grant

Jun 03, 12

bookshelves: warrior-reading, sf-f
Read in May, 2012

This was really quite a good second book of the trilogy. I was pleased with how grief (and crazy) was handled and the pace and richness of the world -- especially for a post-zombie-apocalypse one -- was handled. The transition to Shaun as a narrator was handled much better than I had hoped and one of the reasons was that Grant handled his physicality really well despite letting us into more of his interior world - which can be a juggling act and for that one element, this book is really worth an examination.

I thought Grant missed some opportunities to provide some of the same scathing commentary on anti-vaccination thinking (and pro-vaccination thinking, for that matter) that she did on politics and media in the first of the series. I also thought (and this will carry into the review of the the third) that she started running out of villains; part of the strength of the first book was the complexity of alliances and competing priorities and results of poor choices. In this one there definitely is still some of that, but at a remove and the villains start to just look like 2-d villains. Still well worth the read.

One side note: It's interesting how social media's run past these books. When I read the first one I thought wow, one of the first SF writers to really get social media. But the needing laptops and lack of Twitteresque stuff - what, no iPhone? - actually started to feel antique. No Pinterest? :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.