Bonnie's Reviews > Beta

Beta by Rachel Cohn

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: ya
Read from June 03 to 04, 2012

Ready for a new heroine? Katsa, Katniss, and now Elysia, the clone. Water Wars have changed the earth, but the richest people have managed to create a special island, Demesne, with pure air, lovely violet water, and a population of clones to do all the work. Most of the clones are fully adult, but the doctor in charge is now experimenting with teen clones, still in the Beta stage. The governor's wife buys one for her family and is delighted with the beautiful, compliant, young woman. But Elysia gradually learns that there are many questions to resolve. Who was her First and what happened to her? Why are the few human teens on the island experimenting with a powerful drug? Who is the man she glimpses underwater? And the biggest question of all--is she a Defect? As Elysia gradually uncovers one shocking truth after another, the idyllic life gives way to danger on several fronts. The first in a trilogy, this engrossing fantasy seems destined for popularity and the big screen.

(I read this in galley form.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beta.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Astrid (new) - added it

Astrid can you really consider Bella Swan a heroine, though? Lovely review, by the way, however.

Bonnie Good catch! I do NOT see Bella as a heroine. I tried to find another word to substitute but I think I will instead insert a real heroine, Katsa of Graceling.

message 3: by Astrid (new) - added it

Astrid Now that I DO consider a heroine- Katsa. Oh, how I loved her and her story. That is a smart replacement! I couldn't agree more. :) (I just loved that book, Graceling. Have you read Fire?)

Bonnie Not yet. I wanted it to be a sequel so wasn't as motivated to grab it. But I will. I haven't even finished the Hunger Games trilogy, ashamed to admit.

message 5: by Astrid (new) - added it

Astrid ....Well, I'm ashamed to admit it Mockingjay sat on my shelf for a good 3 weeks before I actually sat down to read. I think I was afraid of reading the last book, seeing as how good the last two were. And I wasn't too motivated to read Fire my self, and though I only recently started, so far I think it was worth it. I'm still hesitant about "Bitterblue" though.

Bridgett Beardsley I think a way better series than The Hunger Games is the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield. This book reminded my of it A LOT. I liked Beta, but you should try the Uglies series. They are truly one of my all time favorites.

Bonnie Thanks, Bridgett. I have indeed read the Uglies series and think it is excellent with themes quite relevant to YA readership in a way Hunger Games doesn't match. I've never been comfortable with the teen/teen killing in Hunger Games and have avoided seeing the movie.

Bonnie I should add that I have now read all three volumes of Hunger Games.

message 9: by Juliana (new)

Juliana If you liked graceling and the hunger games, try mistborn- its awesome. Id say its definately an adult book rather than YA but its really good. Also, try unwind by neil shusterman or something- i loved it and it seems sort of similar to the concept of this beta book