Christine's Reviews > The Works of John Dryden, Volume XI: Plays: The Conquest of Granada, Part I and Part II; Marriage-a-la-Mode and The Assignation: Or, Love in a Nunnery

The Works of John Dryden, Volume XI by John Dryden

Oct 04, 08

Recommended to Christine by: Professor Sherman
Recommended for: fans of Restoration drama
Read in October, 2008

I read the Conquest of Granada. Specifically, Part I for Plays, Players, Playgoers: London 1600-1700.

This was Dryden's two-part play, a ten act play that spanned two nights during the Restoration era in England. It's epic in length, and epic in scope, as it tells of the civil wars in Granada, and the upcoming wars with Spain. Even though the entanglements and battle take on a far-reaching scale, the story is much more about the personal love lives of the characters, and how these tensions come between their allegiances and lives.

It can be really confusing at first, with all the names that begin with A (Abenamar, Abdalla, Abdelmelech, Almahine, Almanzor, etc. etc.), the two factions, and the various exotic places. The couplet style can take a bit of getting used to as well. However, once you get into the rhythm of the play, it's a lot of fun, as are most epics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Works of John Dryden, Volume XI.