Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Tempted All Night

Tempted All Night by Liz Carlyle

Sep 29, 2008

bookshelves: 2009-reads
Read in February, 2009

Liz Carlyle is one my must-buy historical authors. She writes strong characters and interesting plots and her brand new release "Tempted All Night" is another good read for me.

Phaedra should be married. She's pretty, she's got a great dowry, and her brother is a Lord. But Phaedra also suffered an almost unspeakable loss when she was very young. That experience, and its repercussions, have resulted in her determination to never marry. She spends her time trying to be unobtrusive and unnoticed. Until the younger sister of her maid disappears, leaving behind a young child. Phaedra reluctantly journeys to London with her family, but not for ton entertainments. Her mission is to find the missing mother...but what Phaedra finds isn't just a missing woman, but a case of murder and espionage. And the man who's trying to help her may be the one to change her mind about marriage.

Tristan's father is the Earl of Talbot and his mother was a beautiful Mediterranean peasant his father fell in love with, giving up his chances for high office with the marriage. The result was Tristan, too dark to look entirely English, but undoubtedly the Earl's heir. With little acceptance from his family and his mother gone, Tristan went off to serve as a mercenary and spy-for-hire...something that (intentionally) irritates his father who runs the Foreign Office at Whitehall. But his father is on his deathbed and Tristan can't refuse what may be his last request...to investigate the death of a Russian who may be mixed up with a spy. It doesn't take Tristan long to meet Phaedra, and he is drawn to her almost in spite of himself. Events around Tristan and Phaedra become more and more dangerous, and so does their desire.

Two complex and intriguing characters, with messy pasts and dubious futures struggle to understand and recognize love. Each is afraid to care but can't seem to resist the traits of the other. The mystery wasn't too bad either, even though we're told right off who the bad guys are, it still plays out well. The real focus is always the growing closeness and caring between the hero and heroine. There are brief appearances by characters from previous books, but this novel stands on its own. "Tempted All Night" is another solid historical from Liz Carlyle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempted All Night.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I have yet to read a full length from Liz Carlyle. I read a short and sexy novella and wanted more but at the time did not think I would like historicals. But I think I would like her. Great review =)

Julie (jjmachshev) She's one of my fav historical authors cause her plots and characters aren't the 'norm'.

message 3: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Auntee did you read Julie's review? Maybe it'll help you decide :)

message 4: by Auntee (new)

Auntee East, I need another new author to fall in love with like I need a hole in the head! I'm sure she's very good...next thing you know I'd be buying her whole backlist and it would be on the TBR mountain until I'm 60!:)

message 5: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!! I hear ya Auntee! I'm starting a hole in the head collection actually (lol!) :D

message 6: by Auntee (new)

Auntee That is why I'm steering clear of J.D. Robb and that massive backlist--she has enough fans already, she doesn't need one more...:D

message 7: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Actually that's strange that you don't have her series because you like romantic suspense and all ---I'm not trying to enable now :p

message 8: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Yeah right!:p
I am positive I would love that series...it's just kinda scarey--I'd probably get around to reading it when I'm 70--and then there would probably be 100 books to read!!!

Julie (jjmachshev) But her latest comes out on Tuesday (heh heh heh)
J

message 10: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Jeez...

message 11: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Julie is an evil one eh Auntee (LOL!) Maybe you could get them used (!) ;)

message 12: by Auntee (new)

Auntee Don't plant that thought in my head...:)

message 13: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz LOL :p