Iz's Reviews > A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

Jun 03, 2012

I absolutely loved this book, couldn't put it down for long because my daydreams always went back to Westeros, curious to know who will last and who wont. Much more action in this than in the first two books, but there was also an equal amount of history told to ensure the reader understands more and more about who these people are and why they do what they do. I see the strong development of Danaerys character and she shines as her journey towards the Seven Kingdoms continues. Even with the introduction of the dragons in the last book, their world is still somewhat grounded in the fact that the dragons are young and both Dany and them are learning how to survive. Tyrion seems to have lost his sparkle for me, but I still admire his compassion for those who suffer, namely Sansa, and even the Hound. I'm still drawn to his wits. Robb seems to be out of the picture a little and comes in near the end with some unfortunate news that will have severe repercussions in the future. He rules with honor and carries the mantle of his calling with dignity which I love about him. Definitely he is his fathers son, as I am sincerely wondering what Catelyn Stark seems to be thinking with some of her decisions. I love the Brienne of Tarth and Jamie Lannister storyline and appreciate the point of view of Jamie Lannister. Surprisingly he would be one of my favorite characters I this particular book, behind Jon Snow. All I can say is I am backing Jon all the way. It's intriguing to read of all the politics and wars that are happening in the south (meaning south of the wall), and knowing that they all don't realize the huge devastating threat that may soon be coming into their backyards. I hope they all wake up and help soon before it's too late.....which it may already be. Magnificently written, great admiration for such a grand storyteller. My only preference would be to go a bit softer on the brutality but within this setting, it does seem appropriate..Loved it!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Storm of Swords.