Patricia Kemp Blackmon's Reviews > Under the Snow

Under the Snow by Melissa Stewart

Oct 02, 12

bookshelves: children-s-books, peachtree-pub, to-read
Read on October 01, 2012 — I own a copy

Under the snow! Have you ever wondered where all the critters go when there is snow on the ground and trees? Well this book has some wonderful illustrations and explanations as to where some of those critters go under a blanket of snow for the winter.

For instance the author says:

"Under the snow lies a hidden world."

A wood frog nestles in scattered leaves on the forest floor. It can freeze solid and still survive.
Buried in the mud, a frog and a turtle wait out the winter. They never move, and they barely breathe.
Below the ground a chipmunk snoozes for a few days at a time. Between naps it snacks on the nuts and seeds stored in its burrow.

And there are many more amazing things under the snow and ice for you to see and read about in this amazing book.

The illustrations are full page color illustrations and with the author's writing it makes for a fun way to learn about the winter habitats of some interesting critters.

This book would be a great book for your child. It would also be nice for the classroom or school library. Now I am a grandmother and I have a special bookshelf for my grandkids when they come to visit. So I will definitely add UNDER THE SNOW to Mamaw's Bookshelf.

I highly recommend this book.

I rated this book a 5 out of 5.

Disclosure:
I received a free copy of this book from Peachtree Publishers for review. I was in no way compensated for this review. It is my own opinion.

If you found this review helpful
please vote yes or no here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Snow.