Elizabeth's Reviews > Affinity

Affinity by Sarah Waters

Oct 14, 08

bookshelves: historical-fiction, queer-fiction, favorite-authors, england
Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** this book really kept my interest, but i was honestly rooting for a happy ending for the main character of margaret. i appreciate a good surprise in a book, which i very much got, since i actually thought that selena's character was honest and that within the context of this novel, the things that she (seemingly) believed in were real. it did not occur to me that she was a nasty little trickster just looking for a vulnerable young girl to completely screw over. and when viewed in that light, which i guess is the light that i was supposed to read it in, i find that the idea that selena's whole plan was to make this margaret fall in love with her (which she conveniently did) so that selena could manipulate her is completely unrealistic. considering the time period, how on earth could selena have expected to be able to count on yet another female with lesbian tendencies? and how could she have known that margaret was one girl with whom that would work? it seemed to me that margaret's previous 'relationship' with the character of helen, whatever that may have consisted of, was kept rather between the two of them (marg. and helen). i guess i think the whole thing was a tad bit far-fetched, and i'm not much of a fan of a story that is so completely unfriendly to its main character.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Affinity.

♥ Marlene♥ Hi there. I just finished it.
I do think she wanted to have control over Margaret, not let her fall in love. The same she did with the other woman in the prison who had a baby son who died, Margaret could be reached by her dead father.
To be honest this time I did see what was coming. I thought at first the nice matron in the [prison was Selena's maid but then thinking a bit more I remembered mom having just had a new maid so then i knew.. I enjoyed it. :)

Elizabeth Oh! I never thought about the possibility that she had simply wanted control and had not actually counted on or expected the romantic feelings that Margaret developed. That makes it much more plausible to me. Thank you for that perspective!
I'm glad you enjoyed it. If you haven't already, you should read the other Sarah Waters novels! They're even better, in my opinion. :)

♥ Marlene♥ Lol but now I am confused again cause I am am watching the movie and I forgot that they were using those poor fools when they had those black circles where these women had to undress, so yes, you were right after all. Selena did have lesbian tendencies.
So far I've read Tipping The Velvet and Fingersmith which I both really loved and I also tried Night Watch but did not finish.

Elizabeth Oh, I didn't realize there was a movie made of Affinity. That's cool. I watched the movie versions of Tipping the Velvet (well, the BBC miniseries) and Fingersmith. Night Watch was good, but kind of confusing and not as good as the others, I didn't think.

message 5: by ♥ Marlene♥ (last edited Nov 15, 2009 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥ Marlene♥ Hi. Lol and I did not know there were movies from the other 2 books so I will go and see if I can watch them as well. Maybe I wait and re-read both books cause It has been a long time. On the other hand, I have a mountain of TBR here.

What i liked about Affinity is it left me with questions, I like when that happens with fiction books and hate it when that occurs after reading non fiction. :)

I was wondering, how her family would react after her suicide. I guess they would have found out about the money spend. I was going to write something about the movie but i do not want to spoil you if you are planing on watching it. It was a little bit different.

message 6: by Jose (new)

Jose Rafael After reading the novel and watching the movie, I am heartbroken; how could Selina have betrayed someone as sympathetic as Margaret?
That said, what would I do if I caught Selina?
Forgive her, of course; what else is there to do?