oliviasbooks's Reviews > When, At Last, He Found Me

When, At Last, He Found Me by Adrianna Stepiano

Oct 04, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: mermaids-selkies, e-version, self-published, young-adult-fiction, urban-fantasy-paranormal, love-story-romance, i-cannot-tell-you-my-secret, a-jerk-is-a-jerk, unfinished, unfinished-2012, sequel-no-thank-you
Recommended to oliviasbooks by: the author
Recommended for: people in love with fictional jerks and formulaic paranormal YA

'Get in.' He demanded. [...] I got in the car, against my better judgement, because I didn’t want to cause a scene. [...] 'You understand that I just met you, right?'
'Yes. You understand that the woman you were about to have lunch with is my aunt and she just disappeared in a matter of minutes, right? You understand that perhaps there is more going on than you could possibly comprehend, right? You understand that I am trying to get you home safe, right?' His blue eyes pierced me and my body felt numb.
I did understand. I handed him my keys. 'My house is at 504 Briarwood Court.'

You like that? Good for you. To me this passage embodies everything I dislike about a certain type of paranormal young adult romance. And although I have read only 7% of the self-published mermaid novel, I can tell that I would label the whole package as unbearably awful. Therefore there is no sense in reading the remaining 93%.

If the 'teaser' above made you kind of excited, you might be pleased to hear that the story deals with a freshly graduated orphan called Seraphin, who has had water phobia since she went into the ocean against her father's explicit prohibition, which is somehow connected to her father's mysterious death. Rich Seraphin has lived for years Cinderella-style with a family friend, who resented her presence in the house. She made do with only one true friend, her biology teacher Ms. Z., who starts blathering about legends and merpeople and guardians and successions and prophecies out of the blue and right on graduation day. After Seraphin has laughingly established that she doesn't believe in mermaids, she witnesses said teacher-friend, who announces that she will have to leave town directly after lunch, to make the biology department's goldfishes do as she says using plain English to communicate at them. Just as Seraphin contemplates becoming a believer (Praised be Nemo!), Ms. Z's grumpy, shy and gorgeous nephew Joseph barges in, flickers his mesmerising eyes from ice to navy blue and back, stops himself from releasing a very secret secret and takes the first-I-have-to-pretend-to-hate-you role with aplomb. Phew! Just in time, because fifteen minutes later he needs to be the ill-tempered-and-tight-lipped-knight-in-shining-armor. Our friendless heroine of the later-to-be-revealed superior qualities is about to faint and cannot drive or think or walk and talk.

This marks the opening of the fantastic curtain: I am sure there will be a lot of mistrust and bickering and withholding of information. There will be fulfilments of prophecies that demand sacrifices of vast proportions to be made. And there will be goldfish lingo to be learned. In the end there will be peace and harmony in Earth’s oceans again. How inspiring! But alas, I cannot stay. You tell me, if I am right. But make it quick, okay?

Disclosure: I received a Smashwords Coupon from the author to download the e-book for free.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When, At Last, He Found Me.

10/03/2012
7.0% "Wow, this is bad. I cannot go on reading although the story has hardly started. A shy outsidee, cinderella-like orphan prone to fainting, a teacher with a secret, a brooding, condescending guy with eyes that change color. *barf*"

oliviasbooks Today for free at Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...
Use Coupon EW48Y

message 2: by Nia (Kantorka) (new)

Nia (Kantorka) 'cannot drive or think or walk and talk'
lol

Ania You asked to tell you if you were right and I can honestly say: the book is worth reading. It actually ends up being pretty much nothing like you would think and the characters are vastly different than one would expect at the beginning. While I can definitely see getting the impression that it's going to be "one of those books" (I worried about the same thing too) from the snippet you provided I can say that I was pleasantly surprised by how the story progressed. It actually turns out that the author dislikes the "witless female LOVES jerk" sorts of stories too.(there's the short of it, but I'll explain a bit too in case you're curious) Without giving too much away I will tell you that Ms. Z is the reason for Joseph's snit at the beginning and he's not normally a complete jerk (his initial moodiness IS clarified satisfactorily later and it was a legitimate reason to get flustered). He's far from perfect, but his first impressions are a lot worse than he is. There is some mistrust and withholding of information because that's what people do, but it's done in a non-obnoxious way that makes it more realistic rather than less. Seraphin actually turns out to be an intelligent, strong-willed, and mature character (her blacking out is also explained), which is a welcome change in this genre. She's fiercely independent, hates to rely on anyone for anything, and has no problem speaking her mind. She has a physical weakness with the blackouts which she works to overcome (and which sets her into a few less than ideal circumstances until she does) but she is by no means the typical air-headed simpering fool that you would expect. The characters all have their strengths and flaws and they each have room to grow (which they do work on). Also, there's no goldfish lingo, although now I'm slightly curious as to how you would go about spelling it if there were... I digress. The point is the book is worth giving a shot. It's by no means a Disney story. If after reading it it's still not your cup of tea, so be it. But it's not what you described so you might enjoy it.

oliviasbooks Thank you for taking the time to elaborate, Ania. I hope you'll write a review to counterbalance mine. For I will definitely not pick up the story again.