YA Reads Book Reviews's Reviews > Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer

Jun 03, 2012

bookshelves: nichole

Originally posted on www.yareads.com, reviewed by Nichole

When Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemies, she’s certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer, one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack and the man she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.
After the epic conclusion of the first Nightshade novel, Nighshade, by Andrea Cremer, Calla Tor is back with a vengeance. After having her eyes forced open to the cruelities that have been happening to her pack, friends and families throughout the year, heck, throughout the centuries, Calla is fed up. Now that she’s with the Searchers, Calla must decide for herself who is trustworthy and who is the real enemy. She is no longer the submissive little wolf that she used to be; she will no longer bow down to the ones she once considered her masters.
All that Calla knows is that she must save Shay and she must save her pack. She will do anything to keep her loved ones safe, even if that means destroying the ones she used to obey. In this captivating sequel witness Calla Tor fight for her independence and love, and watch the claws come out.
After reading Nightshade, by Andrea Cremer, for the Yareads bookclub, I found myself in an Andrea Cremer obsession. I immediately picked up the next two in the series, and I absolutely devoured them. Seeing as I was on Spring Break from my college, I had a blast in doing so. I was immediately hooked from the first sentence. While Nightshade was an overall good book, Wolfsbane took it to a whole other level.
So many things happened during this book that I don’t even know where to start. The entire book was filled with action and adventure. The characters were absolutely brilliant, and I found myself shocked over some of the twists to personalities that occured. I was so proud of Calla for beginning to realize how abusive and dangerous The Keepers really were, and I really enjoyed following her throughout her adventures.
I thought it was awesome to get an inside look at The Searchers. During the first book The Searchers were mentioned, but you never really got to meet them. I found myself in love with Connor and Ethan. I could have just read about them all day long. The Searchers seemed to have their own unique quirks and personalities. It was such a refreshing change from The Keepers.
Yet again, I very much disliked the character of Shay. I still can’t get over the fact that he constantly accused Calla of being submissive to everyone else and never doing what she wanted, but, at the same time, whenever Calla wanted something that Shay didn’t think she should want, he overlooked her thoughts and opinions and made the decision for her. It was pretty common for Shay to throw tantrums whenever Calla tried to follow her own instincts. I have no patience for male dominant relationships, and I was not ok with the patterns of mental abuse that I seen portrayed in Shay’s behavior. I do understand that there are many Shay fans out there, which is not a problem at all. I just personally had a problem with him.
The ending of this book was so good. In fact, this was my favorite book out of the entire trilogy. All I remember is laying on the couch and sucking this book down within like a day. It was that good. I would highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone. However, yet again, I have to caution parents and teachers on the fact that I did feel that there was some abusive patterns throughtout the book. While it is just a book, it is something that goes on in real life. I feel that children should be aware that some of the things going on in this book are not ok. Overall, though, I loved it.
Pages: 390
Publication Date: July 26, 2011
Publisher: Philomel
Rating: : 4

Teaser Quote: “It took less than a second for me to shift and leap onto his desk, snarling. My fangs snapped inches from his face. Silas yelped, tipping his chair over backward, and rolled across the floor… I glared at Silas, who was brandishing a letter opener at me. “You do know she’s not a werewolf, right?” Shay smirked at the Scribe. “That silver thing’s not gonna be worth much.” ”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolfsbane.