Janelle R.'s Reviews > Darkness

Darkness by John Saul

F 50x66
Sep 29, 08

This was the first John Saul book I've read, and I wasn't too impressed. The story is a little hard to follow, since the perspective jumps around. Each character knows something that the others don't so when it switches to a different character, you're reading about something brand new. One chapter you're reading about some of the victims, and then suddenly you're reading about the bad guy from one his follower's point of view. Then, as you start to get farther into the story, it begins switching perspective after only a few paragraphs.

Though the storyline itself is hard to follow, John Saul is a pretty good author. He really captures the many characters in the book, from a 16 year old girl, to the 60-something year old bad guys, to a 90-something year old woman. Though I was constantly confused by the plot, I couldn't stop reading due to his exceptional writing. Overall, the plot was pretty good, if slightly confusing, and the writing was wonderful. I would recommend this book to anyone who can follow a twisting plot line, and I'd recommend this writer to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness.