Samy Rose's Reviews > The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party

The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party by Alexander McCall Smith

Jun 02, 2012

Read in June, 2012

I love Alexander McCall Smith's books. And I love the Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. The background and ways of a present day Botswana are amazing and yet as familiar as around the block. The characters actually think in these books. And solutions are found to problems and "detective jobs" creatively and without the vengeance aspect.

The protaganist is Mma Ramotswe and her associate is Mma Makutsi. They work out of an office attached to a car repair garage owned by Mma Ramotswe's husband, Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni. The gentle way each person is handled by the majority of people in this Botswana city gives me hope that a thinking caring world is possible... at least, a part of the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party.

Quotes Samy Liked

Alexander McCall Smith
“There are many people who are frightened of something or other, Mma," she said. "Even here in Botswana there are people who are frightened."

They had looked at each other without saying anything. Each knew what the other meant; each knew that there were things that people preferred not to acknowledge not to admit, lest the admission encourage that which needed no encouragement.”

Alexander McCall Smith
“You cannot divide a child's heart in two" she had observed to Mma Makutsi, "and yet that is what some people wish to do. A child has only one heart."

"And the rest of us?" Mma Makutsi had asked. "Do we not have one heart too?"

Mma Ramotswe nodded. "Yes, we have only one heart, but as you grow older you heart grows bigger. A child loves only one or two things; we love so many things."

"Such as?"

Mma Ramotswe smiled. "Botswana. Rain. Cattle. Friends. Our children. Our late relatives. The smell of woodsmoke in the morning. Red bush tea...”

Alexander McCall Smith
“Simple questions--and simple answers--were what we needed in life. That was what Mma Ramotswe believed. Yes.”

Alexander McCall Smith
“...pleasure at hearing what all of us wanted to hear at least occasionally: that there was somebody who liked us, whatever our faults, and liked us sufficiently to say so. - Precious Ramotswe”

Alexander McCall Smith
“It is hard, she thought, it is hard for us to think of people who dislike us because none of us, in our heart, believes that we deserve the hatred of others.”