Brooke's Reviews > Broken Harbor

Broken Harbor by Tana French

Aug 05, 12

bookshelves: 2012, mystery
Read from July 27 to August 05, 2012

I liked this one more than Faithful Place but not as much as In The Woods or The Likeness. I have to admit that I flipped to the end to find out how it all ended before I reached the midway point of the book. Totally cheating, I know, but the amount of tension that the author built up was practically unbearable and I couldn't wait properly for it to be defused.

I've linked up Tana French and Gillian Flynn a couple of other times in my reviews as being some damn good mystery writers. More than just writing good whodunnits, though, they're experts at getting inside peoples' heads and showing (not telling) through their writing just what makes them tick. It's eerie and uncanny just how good they are at this. I don't think there are any other authors that I've read that are on the same level as these two women. In Broken Harbor, for example, the conversations between Scorcher and Dina and the forum posts written by Pat, they felt real. They weren't just words on a page, they came alive out of the mind of an author who has such an ear for people.

So I'm not sure that I'll ever love anything as much as I loved In the Woods or The Likeness - and at this point, I'm thinking, "So what?" Because this is still damn fine stuff.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Harbor.

07/28/2012 page 105
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim What's this one like, Brooke? I liked the first two in the series and was pretty disappointed by the third.

Brooke So far I'm liking it a lot more than Faithful Place, it's really mysterious and creepy so far.

message 3: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim Excellent. I'll stick it on the list.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I was never able to get through the first one, but i heard great things! Maybe I need to try again :)

Brooke I actually commented on book 3, Abigail, that it was the first one in the series that gave me a sense of place. The others, including this one, I'm not really sure they felt uniquely Irish or Dublinish. But maybe someone who has been there would have a different opinion!

Brooke She is!

Lori (Hellian) Finally came from the library, yay! I'm excited to start. Brooke, I always skip to the end, because of tension, the only time that's gotten me into trouble was with Girl Gone. I know Faithful Place wasn't a favorite with many but I really like it.

Abigail - I think it's very Irish, you get a real sense of Ireland re: location and also the behavior of different classes.

As a matter of fact, I think that's why I like Faithful Place - real insider view of the lower class.

Brooke I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it, Lori!!

Lori (Hellian) Just finished the part where Dina says there's no reason she's like that - she just us, and he just can't wrap his head around that. There goes his whole way of life! We'll see where that goes. I'm sure Conor didn't do it, and pretty sure Pat didn't either altho he was definitely going nuts. Which leaves..... And Richie is hiding something, an odd glance at future tense. Excellent.