Tiffany's Reviews > The Traitor in the Tunnel

2741932
Jun 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012, historical-fiction, spies-and-espionage, mystery
Read from June 02 to 03, 2012

Hark, all ye steampunk fans! There's a new Victorian era book/series, and it's called The Agency.

Guys. I don't know what it is about this series, but it's strangely addcitive. It follows the clever and headstrong Mary Quinn, who is also a spy. And this book is the third in The Agency series, so I suggest you snag A Spy in the House before storming through this book.

But even though I loved this installment of The Agency, there are some persisting things that bothered me through the series. Here's a list:
1. The first half of the books move at a snail's pace. I get that Y.S. Lee needs to build background information and all, but does she really have to take so much time in doing so?

2. Big, intimidating, sesquipedalian words. Even though appearances of words like "obsequious" are few and far between in this series, they kind of stand out. Horribly. Plus, they bring back bad memories of cramming for cumulative vocabulary tests. *shudder*

3. Frustrating and drawn-out romance. I mean, Mary and James never got anywhere! They didn't talk about it, tension skyrocketed, and reader got aggravated. STOP. IT.

Man. It felt good to vent. But anyways. I still uphold my theory of this series' addictiveness, and I still love Y.S. Lee's characters, and I still love anything set in the Victorian era. Most importantly, though, I don't regret storming through this series ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Traitor in the Tunnel.