OpenBookSociety.com 's Reviews > Eternal Shadows

Eternal Shadows by Kate Martin

Jun 02, 12

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Dawn

I didn’t like Eternal Shadows at first. I began to enjoy it about half way through. Initially, I thought Kassandra (the main character) was one dimensional, just a whiny brat. And to be honest, it was annoying. I nearly gave up, but something compelled me to give it another go. I’m glad I stuck with it.

Kassandra began to redeem herself as I saw glimpses of a fighting spirit. She was always pushing back.
Kassandra questioned everything, wanting to learn. And she was willing to sacrifice herself for the people she loved.

Most of the secondary characters are fleshed out. Madge and Millie stand out, sisters who are polar opposites. I especially enjoyed Aurelia, who has been around a long time. She is just a bad ass vampire. I love that everyone can “feel” when an older vampire enters the room.

The idea of a blended family of vampires, each with their own position and responsibilities, was interesting. Each family member came from a different time in history, giving the reader a different perspective as they weigh in on decisions.

The chapters have very clever names. My favorite: “When In Rome”.

The only problem I had with the book is the relationship between Kassandra and Rhys. I could not understand what he saw in Kassandra and I still don’t. The question was brought up in the book but it wasn’t answered to my satisfaction.

That said, I loved the idea of separation through death and reincarnation. I also enjoyed the idea that vampires can’t be reincarnated, or can they?

I recommend Eternal Shadows as an interesting read.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eternal Shadows.