Esther's Reviews > Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born

Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born by Jamie Lee Curtis

Sep 29, 2008

bookshelves: adoption-picture-books

A young girl asks her parents to tell the story of her birth which is obviously much-loved and much-requested but ends up telling the story herself. It starts with the telephone call to the adoptive parents, their plane ride, the hospital and their first night together as a family changing diapers, watching baseball and singing lullabies and ends with them being a loving family. Each page gives fun specific details such as “dad was snoring” or “you carried me like a china doll.”

The witty and loving text is matched perfectly with the whimsical illustrations. The text is straightforward about adoption but not overwhelming or didactic. This book highlights the need children, especially children who have been adopted, have to hear their birth stories with as many details as possible. Many children have heard their adoption story but not their birth story. The book is reassuring and normalizing but also acknowledges some negative feelings. I love there is an illustration of the little girl’s family tree including mostly the adoptive family but also some of the birth family. This could be reassuring to a child who has been adopted since creating a family tree is commonly stressful and anxiety-provoking. And show way to integrate the two families and history.

There is an acknowledgement of the birth parents but not very much information or history given. Also there were not any feelings, positive or negative, expressed associated with the birth parents. Potentially this might give the impression that the adoptive parents or child shouldn’t have any feelings or thoughts about their birth parents, which would be more atypical of an adoptive family’s experience. The book being concise is positive mostly but here an aware parent may want to discuss a little further about their adopted child's personal history, birth parents and feelings. There does seem to be a little stereotyping in the roles of dad and mom (Dad teaches about baseball, albeit to a baby girl and Mom is caring for the baby in the illustrations and singing the lullabies).

This is a good book to use with lifebooks. It was written by actress Jamie Lee Curtis who has adopted two children and although I am a little leery of celebrity books...I love this one and is another top personal favorite. Aurora loves it too already (probably because of the illustrations) and we read it often.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born.

08/22/2016 marked as: read