Mackenzie Kincaid's Reviews > The Girl Who Owned a City

The Girl Who Owned a City by O.T. Nelson

F_50x66
Jun 02, 12

I picked up the graphic novel version of this book at my local library; I was attracted to it by the art -- which was stellar -- and the post-apocalyptic storyline, which it always a winner for me. It was a pretty decent story, though the narrative was clunky at times and I didn't feel like it really explored the full potential of a universe in which every adult is dead, the kids are on their own, and nobody quite knows if the oldest kids will die, too, when they become adults themselves. It could've been much darker and seemed to skim over some of the difficulties that would've been posed by children trying to live without any sort of modern convenience. (Sort of the same problem I had with the TV show "Jeremiah," which was based on the same sort of concept... things seemed to be a little too easy until it's convenient to the plot for them to be hard.) It was enjoyable enough though, and I really did enjoy the art in the graphic novel version... very very well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Owned a City.