Terri Lynn's Reviews > Murder at the Lanterne Rouge:

Murder at the Lanterne Rouge by Cara Black

Jun 05, 12

bookshelves: fiction, mystery-suspense-thrillers
Read from June 02 to 05, 2012

What am I going to do now? I discovered Cara Blacks's series about Paris private detective Aimee Leduc and now have just read the 12th book which was recently published (they come out one per year) and now will have to wait a year to read more.

In this book, Aimee is planning to go away on a vacation with the flic (cop) she is dating Melac to Martinique when Rene invites her to a Chinese restaurant for dinner with the Asian girl he has fallen in love with- Meizi. She is only slightly taller than the computer genius dwarf and she has made him feel alive. At the dinner, her frowning parents who doesn't speak English seem cool and distant , Meizi seems nervous, and Rene is happy to be giving her a ring for her birthday. Suddenly Meizi gets a call on her cell phone and leaves in a hurry without the ring. An old Chinese woman comes in shortly and announces there has been a murder. Everyone runs out including Aimee and Rene.

And so we go on another adventure involving illegal Chinese immigrants being taken advantage of by Chinese criminal lords, the secret forces tracking Aimee and trying to both spy on her and offer her info on her mom (her mother ran out to be a terrorist in the 1970's when Aimee was 8) in exchange for her help, a rogue group of scholars obsessed with the Knights Templar and medieval craft guilds, smelly homeless guys who offer clues, a missing Meizi, and of course Aimee gets to find more dead bodies and get both shot and stabbed.

The ending is gloomy this time. Morbier's confession cuts to the heart and may render her relationship with her godfather ended forever. Rene, well, there is a question of whether he will stay in her life either. Tune in a year from now to find out what will happen.I'll be biting my nails till then.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder at the Lanterne Rouge.