Jim's Reviews > The Human Web: A Bird's-Eye View of World History

The Human Web by John Robert McNeill

M_50x66
Jun 02, 12

Read in January, 2007

The best short history I've read. A great book to center your view of history to humanity an a whole. Some history books get lost in classroom academia with facts and a timeline. This one's focus is the story and the telling. It is short and to the point with an emphasis how we got to the present.

The McNeil's tell world history as an interconnected whole with the strands of the web increasing over time and pulling the disconnected parts together. They tell mankind's story in the same way as an individual goes through life learning and casting one's own web of discovery. A man matures in life from a reactionary to a problem solving, change agent. Mankind and its culture evolved from reacting to it's environment to become his environment's greatest influence.

Telling history this way links the past to the present and it's problems the way the story of man should be told, the way he experiences it. I would recommend it for anyone who doesn't usually read history and wants to be knowledgeable of it. In my opinion, it is the best short world history book out there. if you only read one history book this should be it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Human Web.