Patricia Cal's Reviews > Forever Amber

Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor

Jun 10, 12

Read from June 02 to 10, 2012

Many, many years ago, I had wanted to read this book. It was part of my mother's book of the month club. I was told that I was much to young to read it, and the book had also been banned in many areas. Some 60 years later, I have finally read the book, only to wonder what the problem was. I found the main character, Amber, to be not much different than Scarlett o'Hara in Gone With The Wind. They were both women who would stoop to any means to obtain what they wanted in love, money, or adulation by the male sex. I found Amber to be no different than the other women, who were the mistresses of the king, and other men in the court. All of the women prostituted themselves to obtain stature and placement. This was also in line with the court of Catherine the Great in Russia. This must of been a sign of the times in that era, to have children, not really knowing who the fathers were. I finished the book, and can now say" What was all of the hype, about"? It was worth the time to read, and wonder about the lineage of so many royals during that time. You will also realize that there were many strong minded women, who would do anything to advance. Not much different in the world today. To the end Amber was faithful in her love to her children and Bruce. Bruce who used the women in his life to his means. The ending, is the only way it could be!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever Amber.