Samantha's Reviews > How I Learned Geography

How I Learned Geography by Uri Shulevitz

Jun 02, 12

Read in June, 2012

A young boy and his family flee their country and live in poverty. One night his father leaves to buy bread for supper. After many hours, he returns without food, but with a giant world map instead. The boy is furious and vows never to forgive his father. He soon finds though that while his father neglected to feed his stomach that night, he fed the boy's imagination as the map allows him to journey to distant lands where the boy can imagine himself happy and well fed.

Illustrations use color in a clever way. When times are hard, the pictures are colored in a drab palette, but when the boy discovers the joy of the map and the world of possibilities that exist in other lands the colors are vibrant and cheerful. Entire pages are devoted to adventures of the mind and the boy's whole body expresses his inner joy as he dances and flies across the pages.

An author's note follows the story in which the author gives more specific details about his childhood and includes real photos and drawings from his time in the Soviet Union. Great read aloud.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Learned Geography.