Rob's Reviews > Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

Nov 30, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Recommended to Rob by: Adam
Recommended for: anyone that needs to be reminded that they are not (in fact) invincible
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

Quick, exciting read but probably not for the faint of heart. Short version of this true-to-life-as-can-be story? High-altitude climbing (e.g., Everest) is dangerous enough just being there (what with the hypoxia and all that) and not moving so let's not forget about all the myriad additional dangers that accompany high-speed wind, sub-zero temperatures, climbing vertical ice and/or loose shale, etc.

I've never done mountaineering of this sort but as a climber, this book sent more than a few additional shivers down the ol' spine.

ALSO:
(1) As an aside: my heart goes out to Jon Krakauer (the author). He mentions in the epilogue how he became the subject of a great deal of rage and resentment from friends and family of folks that perished on the expedition. I don't think he deserved to be such a target; foolishly or not, the man wrote his account as a way of achieving some kind of catharsis. I hope by now (some 12 years later) he's come to grips with the events.

(2) If you can, try to pick up the hardback edition; it has some woodcut illustrations that make for lovely chapter divisions.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into Thin Air.

11/21/2008 page 35
11/23/2008 page 71
18.78% "vivid, emotional writing (if not the "best" writing); very into this story so far"
11/27/2008 page 225
59.52% "(could anything ELSE go wrong?)"
11/30/2008 page 335
88.62% "SHORT VERSION: Everest: sounds like a challenge, turns out to be a bloody nightmare."