Karen's Reviews > Wings of Arian

Wings of Arian by Devri Walls

Jul 20, 12

Read from June 05 to 06, 2012

I’ve mentioned before that I rarely read high fantasy. Here’s a true confession: I rarely read it because I can almost never follow what in the hell is going on. It’s always full of people with crazy names and fantastical creatures and places that don’t exist. I don’t know if I just don’t have the imagination for it or what, but more often than not I find myself scratching my head and/or re-reading because I’m totally lost. Fortunately with Wings of Arian I was able to follow along really well and while it is definitely high fantasy with all of the usual crazy character names, fantastical creatures, etc. I didn’t feel like I needed a flow chart to understand it.

I think that was mostly because of the really good world building. Devri Walls does a really good job of explaining everything from who is who to where is where, and the mythology behind the story. I felt like I was able to visualize the characters and the places where they were. And the creatures, too. Normally I’d be all “pshaw” as soon as a pegasus showed up, but I really liked Arturo. Yes, his name is Arturo. For some reason the really cracked me up.

So just about the only thing I really didn’t care for was Kiora herself. I felt like she was way too weepy and whiny. I get that she was tenderhearted or whatever, but more than once I just wanted her to get a backbone already. I found Emane a lot more endearing and his steadiness balanced out her insane mood swings.

Recommended for fans of high fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wings of Arian.

06/05/2012 "Starting this one today. My tour date is 7/18."