Victoria Brown's Reviews > Murder Takes Time

Murder Takes Time by Giacomo Giammatteo

Jun 13, 12

Read from June 08 to 13, 2012

I have to hand it to Giammatteo. Writing your first novel in a non-linear format is not easy to do. But he does it, and he does it well. He deftly moves the story in and out of the past to the present and back again. His characters are rich and complex. I admit that I had some difficulty in keeping track of all the characters and their nicknames. I found it confusing, even more so because throughout the book he switches back and forth from given names to nicknames. For me, Murder Takes Time started out a little slow, but once it got going, I couldn't put it down. The many plot twists and turns kept me interested. Frankie "Bugs" Donovan, Nicky "the Rat" Fusco and Tony "the Brain" Sannullo were inseparable as kids, living by a code of "friendship and honor." By the time they are adults, Nicky is in prison, Frankie is a cop, and Tony is a mobster. The personal struggles that Nicky and Frankie dealt with felt very real. Once Nicky gets out of prison, he becomes a hit man for the mob. I found myself rooting for him, even though he was a killer. A book about the mob wouldn't be complete without some romance, and Giammatteo throws some in for good measure. I'm not going to tell you if the boy ends up with the girl, but if you're looking for a good read that's hard to put down, this book is it. I have already recommended Murder Takes Time to several of my friends.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder Takes Time.