C.J. Markusfeld's Reviews > Whispers in the Dark

Whispers in the Dark by Maya Banks

Jun 02, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi

I've read all four of the KGI series, and this is hands down my favorite. I loved the paranormal aspect of this novel; it really made the romance between the two mains shine.

Elevator pitch: While Nathan Kelly is held captive in Afghanistan by the baddies, he's visited by his own personal angel, Shea, who comforts him and even takes away the pain of his injuries. He thinks Shea is a figment of his overstressed mind, even after one of his fellow captives experiences Shea's influence through Nathan. After being rescued by his brothers (who run their own private army on the side - blows my mind that anyone thinks THAT'S okay), he's haunted by his trauma and his memories. But Shea reaches out to his mind again when she's in mortal danger, and Nathan races to her rescue, his brothers not far behind.

What works: It's my kind of romance. It doesn't bother me that the two mains are separated for a good chunk of the book - in fact, they don't actually meet in person until a good third to halfway through. But the bond that they create through Shea's paranormal abilities is convincing. The urgency of their emotional connection drives the story forward nicely.

What's not as great: I don't think the characterization on Nathan was as strong as it could be - or maybe it's just that the Kelly brothers are all a bit too similar. They're all strong, silent soldiers with hearts of gold, and Nathan is no different. I appreciate them for what they are, but gee, I wish they had a bit more dimension. Or at least some more intellectual depth.

I actually find it easier to swallow that someone could have a paranormal ability to enter into another person's body to take away their pain than I do believing that there are law-abiding US families who make their living running covert ops (including entering other countries with massive amounts of firepower, flying jets around the US, and rescuing civilians all over the place without the government becoming faintly interested). But we've gone over this before - I'm Canadian and the only guns we have are for hunting the moose and grizzlies that wander through our back yards.

All that said, this is a great read, and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers in the Dark.