Rory Williams's Reviews > Breathless

Breathless by Dean Koontz

Jun 02, 12

Read in May, 2012

This book isn't one story; it's several. That's what kept me reading. I was positive all of these seemingly unconnected lives would revolve around the mystery of the creatures and come together in a brilliant way.

They didn't.

A couple characters see the creatures once, and that's about it. Their stories continue on their merry ways, completely unrelated to anything else. A couple of characters from separate plot lines meet briefly and incosequentially. One of the most interesting plot lines, a man who finds himself "haunted" by the twin brother he murdered, ends up having absolutely nothing to do with the main story line, except that he just happens to run into Cammy. Their meeting is swift and does not contribute to the overall story in the least. This was extremely disappointing to me, especially since that particular story was the most interesting by far. All of the other story lines were rather boring to me. The only thing that kept me reading was the hope that they would all fit together flawlessly. It made the reading experience rather useless when they didn't.

While Riddle and Puzzle themselves are adorable, even their story line was pretty bland, even when the government steps in to take custody of them. Though they hinted at the horrible things the government might do to them, the creatures never really seemed to be in any urgent danger. An impending vivisection or some overhanging threat would have done more to excite me, gotten my blood pumping. As it was, I was bored. This was really the only part in the novel had the potential to be "thrilling" but, like the rest of the novel, fell sadly short.

Just another thriller that failed to thrill me.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathless.