Jeffrey's Reviews > Turn Coat

Turn Coat by Jim Butcher

M 50x66
Mar 31, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, read-in-2009, read-in-2010
Recommended for: People who have read the earlier volumes
Read from March 28 to 30, 2010, read count: 1

** spoiler alert **
Original Review
I picked it up yesterday afternoon and started reading about 8 PM. I didn't put it down till I was finished at... uhm.. 1:45 in the morning. Oops.

Well, it has everything you expect out of a Dresden Files novel, humor, noir, pathos, etc. Jim Butcher does a far better job executing his formula here than he did in his latest Codex: Alera novel, Princep's Fury. If there are flaws, it's that Turn Coat is a bit more predictable than the previous volumes, and that the cover's (rather distinct) promise is never met within.

Still, highly satisfying, providing development of both character and metaplot, as well as just a fun action read.

Thoughts on Reading in 2010: CONTAINS SPOILERS
Having reread this and a few others in advance of the release of Changes, the traitor is still ridiculously obvious, but some things are actually better than I gave them credit for. The deathstone assault actually has precedent from Death Masks and there are some nice character touches as well that went overlooked in the first reading. A worthy addition to this series
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turn Coat.

Quotes Jeffrey Liked

Jim Butcher
“You're in America now," I said. "Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer.”
Jim Butcher, Turn Coat

03/29/2010 page 148
35.24% "The traitor's obviousness, already figured out at this point during the first read, is even more annoying on reread."
03/30/2010 page 357
85.0% "Clearly the GM knows the difference between filial love of Murphy & Dresden & the love required to protect him from the White Court"