Mark's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Still keep assigning this novel for classes, still keep loving the re-reads. With the movie now just days away, I do want to go back to books 2 and 3, as well (like, for real this time - not like when I obviously stated it last spring, and didn't follow up).

"'Katniss, it's just hunting. You're the best hunter I know,' says Gale.

'It's not just hunting. They're armed. They think,' I say.

'So do you. And you've had more practice. Real practice,' he says. 'You know how to kill.'

'Not people,' I say.

'How different can it be, really?' says Gale grimly.

The awful thing is that if I can forget they're people, it will be no different at all."

I loved re-reading this book for class, and now will probably go back to books 2 and 3, as well. Having watched all of the hype for the final book last spring/summer, and all the preparations and debates over next year's movie, it was nice to remember how the trilogy began. This remains my favorite book of the series, maybe simply because by the second book, I had become somewhat used to the superb pacing, and gory action sequences that set the first book apart so well. Since first reading this in 2008, I've seen a number of unit/lesson plans arise from this book, as well as pairings between it and other titles like 1984, Brave New World, The Giver, and others. The tie-in possibilities to other curricular areas are limitless, and I hope teachers keep exploring how this novel can be used to teach so many elements to students.

Old review:

Wow, what a fantastic, imaginative novel! I've enjoyed Suzanne Collins' books for younger readers, but with this one, she takes a step toward older readers as well. The content of this book would definitely, in my opinion, be aimed more at high school readers. I'm thrilled that she's planning to make this a new trilogy, and I already am impatient for Book #2. This book moves fast, has engaging characters who you can't help but pull for, and makes such insightful commentary about the difference between economic and social classes. Collins has created a vivid futuristic world, where she can point out many of the flaws that plague our current society. But on a strictly entertainment level, this book also succeeds wildly. A tremendous book, and it was one that I could not put down. Highly, highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.