Joe 's Reviews > The Outcasts

The Outcasts by John Flanagan

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: adventurous, fantasy
Read on June 02, 2012

I was pretty excited to read this new series by John Flanagan Author of Rangers Apprentice.
Outcasts didn't disappoint it was everything a John Flanagan story should be.
Its not very deep but there's still some good stuff going on with the MC being a half breed trying to find his place in there wild viking society.

I really thought the book dragged though. Its spends most of the book in "brotherband training" which is really interesting but its the main plot and there isn't really any kind of sub plot going on except there desire to be the best at "brotherband training"
The inciting incident doesn't happen till the last 10 pages of the book setting off the real story which should be quite good in the next book.
Which takes me to the last peeve the fact that is is really obvious that he stretched his story out to fit into a trilogy when he really didn't have enough story for 3 books.
I may be wrong about this (having not read the second and third books) but I'm pretty certain this is the case.

Still Outcast's is a fun book with lots of good vikingness and good themes on brotherhood, and leadership.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outcasts.