Elizabeth Moeller's Reviews > Shine Shine Shine

Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer

F_50x66
Jun 08, 12

Read from June 02 to 07, 2012

When I started thinking about how to review Shine Shine Shine by Lydia Netzer I was sort of stumped because in many ways, it defies description. This is a love story about a woman whose husband goes into space. But it is also a story about unlikely childhood friends who develop a love based on the fact that they are the only one the other could imagine letting into their difficult lives. It is also the story of the differences between the expectations that mothers have of what will make their children happy and the reality of what does make them happy. And it is also a science fiction story about the first steps towards colonization of the moon and a social commentary on the false fronts that many people feel they need to put up to interact with society. And still I feel like I must be leaving out some important theme. Although it took me a little while to become emotionally involved in this story of Sunny, a girl who is born bald, and Maxon, a boy who is a genius but has difficulty interacting with humans, once I got hooked into the story I felt both emotionally involved in the characters lives as well as intellectually engaged with some of the larger themes the author was seeking to bring into her story. The only criticism I would have of this book is that the last couple of chapters feel a bit rushed. After the rest of the book has taken time to slowly create detailed portraits of the characters, the conclusion lacked some authenticity that made it seem a bit disconnected from the rest of the story. I would recommend this book to people who like unconventional romances, people who are interested in issues surrounding the treatment and experience of Autism spectrum disorders and people who are interested in stories about the connections between mother's and daughters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shine Shine Shine.