Joan Reeves's Reviews > The Career Novelist: A Literary Agent Offers Strategies for Success

The Career Novelist by Donald Maass

Required Reading for Writers

Why read this book? What makes it different from all the other books on writing? Donald Maass is a successful literary agent who knows writing and publishing. What he has to say about the importance of fiction echoes my own thoughts: that it's a way of understanding ourselves and the world around us and that the world needs storytellers. "In our world of dislocation, of declining institutions, it is imperative that the values that bind us together be reaffirmed." He asserts that the solo storyteller can show us "new ways of seeing and new paths toward understanding." (The Career Novelist, p.xvi)

Whether you are seeking publication the traditional way or plan to go the indie route, this book will give you some knowledge about the publishing business that you really need if you want to call yourself a professional writer.

When you finish the book, you should be able to write your own business plan, which is what all writers want a good agent to do for them. You'll know where you have failed in the past. You'll be able to figure out what the next logical step in your career should be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Career Novelist.