Joseph's Reviews > Comfort Food

Comfort Food by Kitty Thomas

Jun 02, 2012

bookshelves: abduction, mind-control
Read in May, 2012

The first time I finished this well-written book, I felt very conflicted. After a second read, it coalesced into anger at both of the main characters. Now, hopefully, I've calmed down enough to write a few words without spluttering anger again.

Thank you both Carol and BookAddict for giving such well detailed synopses of the story line. I don't believe I could have done it without having to use a Spoiler Alert.

So what do you do after having kidnapped the woman you've stalked for months? Why you break her using a form of sensory deprivation and feeding her only her Comfort Food, day after day after day, until her Comfort Food becomes torture to eat and she becomes your slave by bonding.

In Game Theory, there is a scenario called capture-bonding which is the force behind the oft discussed (in the book) root of Stockholm Syndrome, which the female character terms "inevitable." (But then, if she resisted, we would have had a different book.) It is not inevitable, as outlined at https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publication.... Furthermore, she does an act in the 21st century of pure ignorance, to be generously said. Thus, my anger to the female character.

As for the kidnapper, the reveals toward the end of the book yield in me a mixture of bathos and anger.

There are various story arcs which lend a bit more credulity to the greater story, but as real as this is written, all in all, I find the reality imbued by Comfort Food to shock me with its lack of sense of shared humanity. The non-con I've read prior to this book seemed to be more Romantic, not as harsh as here.

Read this book, but be forewarned of how it will affect you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comfort Food.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme Hiya J!

I'm glad the book impacted you as much as it did me. I was thinking. W.T.F?!?!? GD! WTF!?!?!?!

This definitely was one that made a person go hmmm. Thanks for the link to Hostage situation. I'm going to have to look that one up.