Emmaleigh's Reviews > President of the Whole Fifth Grade

President of the Whole Fifth Grade by Sherri Winston

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: summer-reading-2012
Read from June 02 to 09, 2012

This book had a very strong female lead and I believe would speak well to the audience it is written for. As a fifth grade teacher I was very excited for this book because there were several areas where fifth graders will be able to relate. Holding the elections and the connections with U.S. History was great and how the author pulled in historical figures and connected it to modern issues and in a way that the elementary audience would understand. Also, as a Michigan native it was great to see a few links to home.

However, I was disappointed with how some of the story was written. Majority of the issues in the story could have been left out and the main points would have still been strong and shown through. It was a lengthy book and I found myself getting boring and waiting for the heroine to finally get to the ending that we all knew was coming. Although I think it is important to remember I am writing this from an adults perspective and this is written for a younger audience. I am looking forward to hearing what my students have to say about this book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read President of the Whole Fifth Grade.