Jessica's Reviews > The Rules of the Game

The Rules of the Game by Georges Simenon

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: crime-fiction, fiction-in-translation, simenonland
Read in June, 2012

The first novel I've read of Simenon's set in the U.S., in a Connecticut suburban town to be exact. There is also no real crime in the novel but like his other non-Maigret novels, it hinges on a moment that causes a man to come to terms with himself and his life. In this case rejection (for the 2nd time) of his application to the Country Club...and why? George Higgins is an upstanding citizen, head of the town's supermarket, with a wife and four children, another on the way...

Perhaps it is Higgins' origins, his mother and her antics, even though he and his wife have carefully hidden her whereabouts (and theirs from her).

The novel is interesting in its view of American suburban life, the club-like atmosphere, who is in and who is out...but how much is in Higgins' head? How much comes from trying so hard to fit in?

Curious about Simenon's life in the U.S., I discovered he lived for five years in Lakeville, CT, a town I used to live in. He was determined to raise his children in the States and his son Marc was enrolled in the prestigious Hotchkiss School. Would love to know exactly which house he lived in.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rules of the Game.

06/02/2012 "yep, going forward with the Simenon-marathon..."
06/05/2012
47.0% "only book I've read of Simenon's that's set in the U.S., in Connecticut to be exact."
06/05/2012
47.0% "just checked ol' Wiki: "Although enchanted by the desert, Simenon decided to leave Arizona, and following a stay in California, settled into a large house, Shadow Rock Farm, in Lakeville, Connecticut. This town forms the background for his 1952 novel La Mort de Belle ("The Death of Belle").
Lakeville! I used to live there. And it's only 15 miles from where I live now. Extraordinaire..."
show 1 hidden update…