Arlene Hayman's Reviews > Second Glance

Second Glance by Jodi Picoult

Jun 02, 12

Read in June, 2012

I want to thank the ladies in my book club for urging me to continue reading this novel. Because the story seemed to be so fragmented and disjointed in the beginning chapters, I had difficulty in following it and in maintaining an interest in the novel. As a result of our group discussion (in which I asked to have the ending revealed to me), I persevered, and my interest was piqued as I began to understand the relationships between characters who seemed unrelated in the beginning. As I neared the end of the story, I was intrigued at how the author skillfully pulled it all together in a believable fashion, even though the resolution seemed far too coincidental for one to readily accept. Because Jodi Piccoult is such an amazingly talented author, I felt myself believing these coincidences and cheering her on.
I especially loved this quote from the story, "Heroes didn't leap tall buildings or stop bullets with an outstretched hand; they didn't wear boots and capes. They bled, and they bruised, and their superpowers were as simple as listening, or loving. Heroes were ordinary people who knew that even if their own lives were impossibly knotted, they could untangle someone else's. And maybe that one act could lead someone to rescue you right back." I felt that this statement was profound to this story. As Ross was considered lost, misplaced, and in some ways possibly a failure by society’s standards, he was still a hero who played a pivotal role in influencing and helping others. He was not typically the kind of hero that one might expect.
I was interested in the historical connections that the author made to the eugenics movement in Vermont, as well as Native American information about the Abenaki people. Being somewhat naive, I was shocked and dismayed that such horrible practices had occurred in our country in the 1930's.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Glance.

Quotes Arlene Liked

Jodi Picoult
“Heroes didn't leap tall buildings or stop bullets with an outstretched hand; they didn't wear boots and capes. They bled, and they bruised, and their superpowers were as simple as listening, or loving. Heroes were ordinary people who knew that even if their own lives were impossibly knotted, they could untangle someone else's. And maybe that one act could lead someone to rescue you right back.”
Jodi Picoult, Second Glance

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer Yay!! I'm so glad you finished it, Arlene.