Rosalee's Reviews > The King of Attolia

The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: belovedbookshelf

I. Love. This. Book. So. Much.
Eugenides is back, and he's just as clever, sneaky, and conceited as ever! He is now the King of Attolia--well, in name, that is. Nobody wants to accept this queen-stealing, one-handed boy as king, especially Costis, a member of the queen's guard. But Costis learns that there is much more to this king than meets the eye...

Edit to add: just re-read it for the umpteenth time. Still made of awesome.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King of Attolia.

Quotes Rosalee Liked

Megan Whalen Turner
“Tell me a story then...keep me occupied."
"A story?...What makes you think I can tell a story?"
"Insight," said the king, "Go on.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“I knew I would be in the story somewhere," Eugenides interjected.
"Oh no," said Phresine, "This was a humble servant."
"Ouch."
"Though very courageous."
"Not me," whispered Eugenides to his pillow.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“I have a whole guard room full of brawny veterans who'd enjoy a chance to drag two Eddisians out of here, particularly if you kicked a lot and they could kick you back.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Relius looked away. "He said that you...cried," he said softly.
"But not that he cried as well," said the queen, amused at the memory. "We were very lachrymose... would you like to hear more romance of the evening? He told me the Guard should be reduced by half, and I threw an ink jar at his head."
"Is that when he cried?"
"He ducked," said Attolia dryly.
"I had not pictured you for a fishwife."
"Lo, the transforming power of love.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“How do you know that, Philo, dear?"
But Philologos had had enough of being condescended to. "Because, Lamion, I am not as dumb as you think I am, even if you are."
By the time Lamion had parsed this to make sure that there was in fact an insult at the end of it, Hilarion had laid a restraining hand on his arm.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Your Majesty, please get down. My friend Aris is really a very good man, and if you fall off that wall he's going to hang for it, and so will his squad, most of whom are also nice men, and though I can't say I really care if your attendants hang, there are probably many people that do care, and would you please, please get down?"

The king looked at him, eyes narrowed. "I don't think I've ever heard you say that many words in a row. You sounded almost articulate.”

“Are you badly hurt?"
"Hideously," said the king, without sounding injured at all. "I am disemboweled. My insides may in an instant become my outsides as I stand here before you.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Then come out," said the king, helping him, "knowing you'll never die of a fall unless the god himself drops you.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“I was listening," the king said, aggrieved. "I closed my eyes to listen better."
"What did you hear?"
"I'm not sure," he said." That's why I was listening so closely. I may have to ask the baron to repeat some parts of his report on his grain tax."
"I am sure you can arrange an appointment."
"I am sure I can too.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Will there be poppy juice in it?"
Phresine shook her head.
"Good. My wife and I agreed that only my wine was to be poisoned.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“It isn't deep," the Eddisian Ambassador said from the other side of the bed. He was leaning over the wound, looking critical and mildly disappointed. Eugenides didn't miss a beat.
"It is...too...deep!" he insisted, outraged.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead in the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“My beautiful queen. Your entire court is staring at you, and I can't blame them."
They were, too. The queen turned to look. Her glance swept through the crowd like a reaping sickle through grain. Mouths slammed shut on every side. There was a scuffling sound as the people in the back shifted, trying to screen themselves from view. The queen looked back at the king, who was broadly smiling.”

“You're awake," he said.
"Phresine is not," pointed out the queen.
"Oh?"
"You gave her lethium."
"She gave it to me first.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“I am not sure I trust you."
"You can trust me with your life, My King."
"But not with my wine, obviously. Give it back.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT!”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Oh, that," said the king with a shrug. "That isn't your honor, Costis. That's the public perception of your honor. It has nothing to do with anything important, except perhaps for manipulating fools who mistake honor for its bright, shiny trappings. You can always change the perceptions of fools.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“One of us might be assassinated and then my heir will be king. Don't give up hope just because chances are slim."
"For the assassination or the heir, your majesty?”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Would you like to hear more romance of the evening? He told me that the Guard should be reduced by half, and I threw an ink jar at his head."
"Is that when he cried?"
"He ducked," Attolia said dryly.
Grown more confident of the queen's humor, Relius said, "I had not pictured you for a fishwife."
"Lo, the transforming power of love.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Sometimes, if you want to change a man's mind, you have to change the mind of the man next to him first.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“He whines, he complains, he ducks out of the most obvious responsibility. He is vain, petty and maddening, but he doesn't ever quit.”

“Were you lying?"
"I never lie," he said piously. "About what?"
"The sand, the snake."
For a young man who never lied, he seemed surprisingly unoffended by the question.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Costis bowed stiffly. “I am here to make sure that you stay in bed, Your Majesty, because if this offends you and you order me summarily executed, it is no loss. Politically speaking.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“As a ten-year-old boy, the Thief of Eddis could stop a grown man in his tracks with a single look. Where had that look gone?”

Megan Whalen Turner
“In the afternoon, the king and queen sat to hear the business of their kingdom. At least, the queen sat to hear the business; Costis was still not sure what the king was doing.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“The queen!" someone shouted in alarm, and the King erupted like a wild animal caught in a snare.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Is that what the wine is for? To help you think?"
"Oh, the wine. The wine, Costis, is to help hide the truth. It doesn't work. It never has, but I try it every once in a while just in case something in the nature of the wine might have changed.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“We are taught to treat a practice sword with all the respect of a real weapon, so no thoughtless mistakes are made"
"Oh... In Eddis, we learn to keep tack of the weapon we have in our hand.”