Reid's Reviews > Paris, My Sweet: A Year in the City of Light

Paris, My Sweet by Amy Thomas

Jun 02, 2012

liked it
Read in June, 2012

Much like the macarons of which she is so fond, this book is sweet, light, airy, insubstantial and, in the end, not really all that satisfying. It is a very personal memoir that nonetheless doesn't go very deep, by which I mean that Thomas shares some of her conflicts and issues, but at the end of the day we don't understand who she really is any more than when we began. My sneaking suspicion is that she is far from the shallow person this would seem to imply and has chosen to share only so much with us. This is her right, of course, but makes for a less than compelling memoir.

Not being as much of a sweet freak as she is (and being one of the few people in the world who doesn't particularly care for chocolate, which Thomas speaks of as a heroin addict does his drug), the frequent digressions into descriptions of deserts, pastries and such became boring to me. But it would be a bit disingenuous of me to complain about this—it is, after all, what the book is about; she makes no bones about that. One thing I do most certainly share with her is a love of Paris and the parts of the book where she celebrates this wonderful city made me nostalgic in a sweet, yearning way.

Still and all, this is a delectable confection and not one I would have chosen to pass up. Hey, I'm as much a sucker for a good macaron as the next guy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paris, My Sweet.

12/06/2016 marked as: read