Jason's Reviews > I Am the Messenger

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Jun 02, 12

bookshelves: favorite-ya
Read on June 02, 2012

You know how when you're a kid you look up to a basketball player/actor/singer and they disappoint you by doing drugs/making racy photos/cheating on their wife? It's kind of how I felt about Markus Zusak by the time I got to the end of this book. The Book Thief is my favorite novel of all time, but in this novel Zusak shows that perhaps that the variables that added up to such extraordinaire was the circumstantial mix of his narrative style and the topic at hand. You take his grim writing and put it on an average set of characters and somehow doesn't seem great.

Eventually, though, I grew accustomed to the odd mix and an became absorbed by the book. I am the Messenger is a blackly comic take on the pursuit of the human condition- dark, unique, and mature, the novel seeps with the tones of J.D. Salinger and Edgar Allen Poe. Zusak uses his words like poetry, his descriptions vivid and textured liked an oil painting.

Although this brings me back to my opening statement- the first 95% of the novel is superb, but the ending feels like it was slapped on because Zusak couldn't think of an ending (it kills me to say that). It just seems a bit much of an 'out there' of a resolution without the proper amount of build-up, so it ends the novel on a 50/50 note. If you can ignore that, however, it's a fantastic treat for noir-fans, although don't expect it to be a master-level work like The Book Thief.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am the Messenger.

06/02/2012 page 200