Tiffany Cooke's Reviews > Among the Imposters

Among the Imposters by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Jun 02, 2012

bookshelves: 2011, young-adult, children-s-books, science-fiction
Read in September, 2011

Among the Impostors by Margaret Peterson Haddix is the second book in the Shadow Children Sequence. I don't usually like sequels. This one is pretty good, but not as good as Among the Hidden. The story gets off to a slow start, but once you make it to the middle of the book, it is hard to put down.
In this book, Luke has taken on his new identity as Lee Grant and placed in a boy's boarding school. Luke is scared, lonely, and confused about everything in his life. During the day he wanders aimlessly from room to room trying to find his classes. At night he is bullied by the older boys. Life is miserable until Luke sees an open door and risks his life escaping. Now he puts his life in the hands of the kids he discovers. Who should he trust with his secret?
I didn't like Luke as much in this book because he acted so differently. I fell in love with him in the first book. I was excited to see him escape and have a better life, so it was hard to watch him get bullied and do nothing. Even though Luke loved being outside in the first book, his love of gardening was never shown, so it was hard for me to believe he would risk his life over a garden, now.
To show us how Luke's confusion, the author makes all of the kids blend together, including names that change. This was interesting as a writer, but it also made it difficult to attach to any of the characters. When the dramatic betrayal was happening, I didn't care very much because I didn't even know the boys' names.
This book is a short, exciting read at 172 pages. I recommend this book if you have read Among the Hidden. This series needs to be read in order to make sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Imposters.