Robert's Reviews > I Am the Cheese

I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier

Jun 02, 12

bookshelves: fiction, 5-6, crime, mystery, public-library
Read from May 29 to June 02, 2012, read count: 1

The other day on the way home from work I tuned into All Things Considered on NPR. I listened to this segment. I was mesmerized by the description of a book that had left its impression upon someone so long ago. I was intrigued.

That evening I took the children to the public library to check this out.

I loved the story here. Cormier's writing is compelling. Adam lives in a dark world that he discovers as the book proceeds. There is a great mystery that unfolds. As a reader, it is easy to be caught up in the the plot. The story is all flashback, but from different settings. It's interesting. While I had my theories on things throughout, in the end I have no idea if they were confirmed or not.

That is the problem with this book. There is no ending.

What was headed for a nice conclusion was suspended. All of a sudden we get a pysch ward filled with characters we have seen before. Did any of this actually happen? I felt like the ending to the Usual Suspects. Discord. And for that, I loathe Mr. Cormier. A reader should not leave unsettled.

I am completely baffled as to what this story was. Was it the tale that unfolded (newspaper man, identity, etc.) or is it a troubled youth caged living out fantasies?

The reader is jilted by this book. Bah!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am the Cheese.