Ali *The Black Heart*'s Reviews > Sovereign Hope

Sep 12, 12

bookshelves: favorites, para-ya
Read from June 08 to 12, 2012

4.5 Stars!!

This was so so close to a five star for me, I'll get into why it wasn't later. First let me get to all the good bits (trust me, there are a lot!!).

First, lets talk characters ~ Farley Hope is wonderful! She was so easy to like and connect with. She has a quiet strength about her, will easily flip someone's crap right back at them but is still the girl who secretly wants to look pretty for the cute boy. She isn't a typical YA simpering girly-girl ~ she's mature and relatable and I can't wait to see where she goes next.

Daniel (*swoon*) is a new favorite book boy of mine! He's distant, harsh at times and has an arrogance that doesn't end. Not like a Jace Wayland arrogance, it's enough to be amusing and intriguing but not overly-obnoxious. The point of view switches to Daniel several times throughout the story and it gives you little glimpses, past the bravado, to who he really is. And who he really is will break your heart. Did I mention he has green eyes? A major weakness of mine!

The Scooby Gang ~ Agatha is like your favorite aunt. She's sweet, caring, cute and reliable. You can't help but like her. Aldan has a pretty amazing story and I would have liked to delve into it farther. Tess (the best friend) is just a hoot. Kayden.... oh Kayden. I thought Kayden might be leading us into (gasp) a love triangle. That didn't come to fruition and Kayden does not have a large part in this book. Hope he does in the sequel though because he is super intriguing.

The Reavers/ Immortals are interesting. They are cold and calculating and down right scary. Not nearly as scary as the Whytes. Yikes! These are woman who have been forcibly transformed into some crazy, nail scratching, teeth baring, chomp you alive monster.

The way Frankie writes is beautiful and it read like a movie playing in my head. I kept reminding myself that this is her first novel. You wouldn't know it by the writing. The world she builds is imaginative, dark, dangerous and I fell head first into it. It moves easily and quickly from the very first page. It's one of those books you stay up late to read. Or, at least I did.

So, why not a five star rating? The end. It was abrupt and while there is unfinished business it doesn't have that 'OMG, I NEED to know what happens next' feel. Don't get me wrong, I DO want to know what happens but I'm not screaming that I need the next book right this minute. I would like it in the next few weeks though! Heehee ;)

A huge thanks to Frankie Rose for allowing me the pleasure of reviewing this and being part of her blog tour ~ which you should be looking for next month. It is going to be big, big, huge!

*A copy of this title was provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review*
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sovereign Hope.

Quotes Ali *The Black Heart* Liked

Frankie Rose
“There's something really interesting in the way you shy away from virtuous touch," he said.
"I don't mind the virtue part. It's you I mind.”

Frankie Rose
“And what do I smell like?"
"Like arrogance and self-adoration," she snapped. "I can smell it a mile off.Why bother saying you didn't help me when it could only have been you?”

Frankie Rose
“He paused and caught her in the flash of his eyes. The term green with envy sprung to mind for some reason, though that wasn't the particular sin that burned through her when he locked her to the spot. Nope. That would be lust, her conscience whispered. She scowled. Was it possible for your own body to turn traitor on you? If it was, then hers most certainly had.”

Frankie Rose
“You can't have 'ass' as a word." Tess declared. She picked up Farley's tiles and thrust them back into her hand."You're forgetting the rules. You're supposed to put down words that you know relate to Oliver.Like hockey. Or six pack."
Farley pulled a face.
"Unless you're commenting on the fact that he has a really great ass, in which case ewww, but okay.”

Frankie Rose
“It's a beautiful dream, love. But some dreams just cost too much.”

Frankie Rose
“Fate must hate her. He was far too good-looking to be someone she had just crashed into.”

Frankie Rose
“Promise not to kill me?"
A razor smile spread across his face.
"Will you at least try?"
He arched an eyebrow. "I can try.”

Frankie Rose
“She was connected to Daniel. It felt as though his soul and hers were twisted together in a way she couldn't ever have imagined possible.”

Frankie Rose
“Yeah, sure, why not? I'm only on the brink of a nervous breakdown. I can't imagine why caffeine wouldn't help this situation.”

Frankie Rose
“His strong jaw line was clenched tight, and a pair of startingly cool green eyes picked her apart with scientific precision. There was something fierce and angry about them that made her tremble a little. Fate must hate her. He was far too good-looking to be someone she had just crashed into.”

Frankie Rose
“Tell me, if you wanted to steal someone's life force, would you take their toe nail clippings?" Farley just stared at her. This conversation was getting weirder by the second.”

Frankie Rose
“There were other words at the back of his throat, words that a normal person would have said, about not wanting to crush her hope, about not wanting to pull her into this life. They remained there, frozen, each one a tiny insect trapped inside amber, testimony to the fact that once upon a time he might have been the kind of person to say words like those.”

Frankie Rose
“It didn't matter that Daniel had already seen her at her absolute, tear-streaked, bedraggled worst. She still had an overwhelming desire to be pretty for him. Which made her resent herself.”

Frankie Rose
“He cupped her face lightly in his hands, and gravity seemed to draw them together, like light towards a black hole.”

06/10/2012
06/12/2012
50.0% "I think I found a new green eyed book boy to love ~ :)"