Dolly's Reviews > Jackie's Jokes

Jackie's Jokes by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

1019021
Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: 2012, education-school, money, scifi-fantasy-mythology, pets, humor, childrens, china-chinese, australia
Recommended for: children starting to read chapter books
Read from June 01 to 14, 2012, read count: 1

This is the fourth book in the Sisters Eight series by Lauren Baratz-Logsted, Greg Logsted, and Jackie Logsted. Our oldest daughter discovered the first book of this series recently at our local library and fell in love immediately. We've borrowed the next few books in the series and she's read several of them quickly in succession.

We actually read this book together, but for some reason, I would quickly fall asleep while reading it. I guess I just didn't enjoy this book as much as the others. Or it just didn't lend itself to reading aloud. In any case, I told her that she should read the remaining books on her own. I think we'll both enjoy the stories more that way.

Our oldest also visited the Sisters Eight website and took the "Which 'Eight' Are You?" Quiz (in the Sisters tab) and discovered that she's most like Jackie. So she was very excited to read this book. Now she's got her sister interested in which eight she would be (perhaps Zinnia.)

I found the story to be strange, but interesting and I can see that this series would appeal to a young elementary school-age child just getting into reading longer chapter books. The story occasionally interacts with the reader, usually foreshadowing dramatic parts that will follow later in the book. The book has a suspenseful and mysterious plot and I think that the series will keep my oldest enthralled the whole way through.

The stories have a pattern that is both predictable (it's even mentioned in the story) and reassuring. In each book, one of the eight girls discovers her power and gets a gift within the span of a month - the series order goes from the oldest to the youngest octuplet. So with this book we are about half-way through the series (although I did notice there is a ninth book, so we'll have to see what that's about.)

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series and discussing the stories with our girls.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jackie's Jokes.

06/02/2012 page 10