Susan Katz's Reviews > Bread and Roses, Too

Bread and Roses, Too by Katherine Paterson

Jun 02, 12

bookshelves: children-s-books

The author's own words sum up this book: "It is the story of the powerless against the mighty, the story of those who do the work while struggling to survive hunger, cold, accident, and disease, and of the self-satisfied owners who bask in luxury and despise the very persons who make their lives of ease possible. In short, it is a story of our own times." I'm grateful to Paterson for her courage and honesty in making that claim. In addition to the wonderful writing, engaging story, and rich characterization which Paterson always provides, this book does the country the service of demonstrating with awful clarity the human results of the sort of political maneuvering, obstinacy, and governing for the benefit of the few which now rule our nation - both parties, but most egregiously the Republicans. This book should be required reading for every member of congress who supports eliminating food stamps and refuses to tax the rich.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bread and Roses, Too.