Ariel Uppstrom's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Jun 09, 12

Read in June, 2012

I decided to reread this series since I had a free download on audible.com. It was much better to hear it since the voices and accents really add to the atmosphere of the story. If you've never read it, it is definitely intended for adult audiences. What is very interesting about this book is its mix of genres. It is overall a historical fiction, but it also dabbles in science fiction and romance. This mix allows the reader to abandon restraint and simply enjoy the journey.

The story follows a woman, Claire, in 1945 as she travels back in time to a Scotland in turmoil during the uprising. She is forced to adapt to her surroundings and finds a companion who fits her better than her previous companion. Her skills as a nurse in the modern world aid her and others in the past. What I've always admired about this series is the incredible amount of research the author had to do in order to create a convincing story. The wealth of historical knowledge, plant and medical skills, and cultural understanding is shocking. I learned more from this book than from history books.

Always a fun read and enticing distraction, I'd recommend this to those who love historical fiction and are adult enough to handle to romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

06/02/2012 page 450