Theta Sigma's Reviews > Geekhood: Close Encounters of the Girl Kind

Geekhood by Andy    Robb

Jun 11, 12

Read on June 11, 2012

I got this book following a recent blog tour on Laura (aka Sisterspooky's) blog. If I could I would have loved to say thank you to her in person as this was a fantastic read.

There have been plenty of comparisons in which to pigeon hole this book, my own personal one is the part optimism/part pessimism of 80s TV show "The Wonder Years", mixed with the geek culture of "The Big Bang Theory" and a little bit of the bawdy humour of "The Inbetweeners".

Andy Robb has perfectly captured that sense in teenagerhood of being different to everyone else, framed through lead character Archie being a Geek alongside that difficult transition period of growing up and moving on in relationships - whether it be parents, friends or potential romantic attachments.

He also uses Geek culture not to demean geeks but to write a love letter about what's good about being a Geek - the use of imagination and that sense of belonging to a very select inner circle.

Thank you Andy for making Geeks... even Geeks at my age feel that little bit cooler about themselves.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geekhood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura just seen this review and i'm blushing quite a bit from the mention at the start. SO pleased you enjoyed it :)