Aya's Reviews > Richard Yates

Richard Yates by Tao Lin

Jun 16, 12

bookshelves: favorites, fiction, auto-biography-memoir, books-i-own
Read from June 09 to 15, 2012

Depressingly good and like nothing I have read before.

I read it after seeing a few interviews with Tao Lin, so when I read, it was automatically with a neutral facial expression and in his monotonous way of speaking in my head. This made it somehow a more intense experience then when I read shoplifting and didn't know anything about Tao Lin.

I would definitely recommend reading this book. It may not be your style, but it's worth trying. If it turns out to be, you will love it. Plus it's rather easy and quick to read so it will not consume too much time. After reading it I even went to the store and bought another copy to give as a gift.

What can I say about the book and writing? Innovative, depressing, childish, self-conscious, intelligent, funny, sincere, profound.

The story is about how we are lonely beings wanting to be with somebody, wanting to be loved, wanting to care for someone, wanting to be cared for. But when we are in a relationship, we come to all kinds of problems because of our differences in communication, honesty, needs, fears, values etc. It's about wanting to be yourself but also wanting to be what the other wants us to be or thinks we are, wanting the other to be want we (think we) need and finding out they are not completely, not wanting to change them and wanting them to be different at the same time, wanting to be understood but knowing noone will ever truly understand you, wanting to know your partner but kwowing you will never truly know them, feeling disappointed in the partner because of all above, feeling guilty about all above. Feeling lonely in the end.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Richard Yates.

06/09/2012 page 32