Madalin Boboc's Reviews > Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and Other Stories

Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and Other Stories by Oscar Wilde

Mar 31, 13

Ok,so it seems that people here have two different sets of story whit some in common.
I have Lord Arthur Savile's Crime, The Canterville Ghost, The Model Millionaire, The Sphinx Without a Secret, and The Portrait of Mr. W.H. so I will only give my opinions of those,maybe I will also read the other short stories but for now are those five.

The Canterville Ghost: Wilde displays a healthy sense of humor,it's not great humor but still,you must at least be a bit brain-dead not to enjoy it.Later it becomes melodramatic and the connection between the ghost old of centuries and the young and innocent child is
heart-touching, again,not a great written passage but not passable either.The last portion of the story is so out of place I can only describe it as a poor ending.
"It's not nice to kill people". A lesson that we should never forget.
The grade it's for the story in itself but because it is so different than the rest it adds more than that to the whole collection.
3.5/5

The Sphinx Without a Secret: A short story that may seem not to go anywhere but then reveals to have a very interesting catch.It's too short too be great but it's a very good example of Wilde's precious wit.
3.5/5

Lord Arthur Savile's Crime: Oh my dear Lord that I don't believe
in!At first it doesn't show any exceptional promise but after a hand-reader makes a shocking prediction it all becomes very intense. Spoiler:The hand-reader will pay in a hilarious way for this.
What you do when you know that something crucial in your life is inevitable? How do you have any power over the future?You make shore it doesn't happen when it's an inappropriate time.Also the fact that the main character uses his reason to deal whit the situation,but not to realize how silly it really is,makes it a bit fascinating.The final moments are an laugh fest.
5.0/5

The Model Millionaire: Nothing to interesting here folks,just a christian parable more close to our time.At least the last quote
about how is hard to find a millionaire model -well today this doesn't make to much sense but anyway it's not about our time- but harder to find a model millionaire it's pretty good.
2.5/5

The Portrait of Mr. W.H. -Two things make it fascinating,no I'm wrong, three things makes it fascinating.
One: the combination of real story and literally investigation;
two: two deaths in the name of a literally mystery -well one was inevitable anyway but the character wanted to be considered as in the name of something more noble than a disease;
three: how much did Oscar Wilde believed what his characters also believed whit such a passion?
4.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and Other Stories.

Quotes Madalin Liked

Oscar Wilde
“Actors are so fortunate. They can choose whether they will appear in tragedy or in comedy, whether they will suffer or make merry, laugh or shed tears. But in real life it is different. Most men and women are forced to perform parts for which they have no qualifications. Our Guildensterns play Hamlet for us, and our Hamlets have to jest like Prince Hal. The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.”
Oscar Wilde, Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and Other Stories